July might seem like an unlikely time to think about the upcoming December holidays, but did you know that magazine editors start looking for products for their December issues in July?
By now, you probably have heard me say that your success with publicity depends on this ONE thing: SENDING THE RIGHT PITCH TO THE RIGHT PERSON AT THE RIGHT TIME!
Sounds easy enough, doesn’t it?
I know this seems like an easy concept, but it can be daunting, so I decided to launch a new blog series called “What magazine editors are looking for this month.”
At the beginning of each month, I’ll post a guide to what types of products magazine editors are looking for that month.
My goal is to make getting your products featured in magazines as easy for you as possible! As you know, magazines start looking for products 3 – 6 months in advance, so you have to plan accordingly.
What types of products are magazine editors looking for in July?
There are two types of magazines that you may want to consider pitching your products to NATIONAL magazines and REGIONAL/LOCAL magazines.
In July, NATIONAL magazines are working on their DECEMBER issue. Here are the types of products they typically cover in December:
- Holiday entertaining – anything that is related to home decor, gifts, food, party outfits and dressed…
- Holiday gifts – almost every s are themed, including Gifts Under $20, Gifts Under $50, Eco-friendly gifts, Luxury Gifts, Gifts for Mom/Dad/Baby/Teacher/The person who has everything, Gifts for the Hostess, Gifts that Give Back, stocking stuffers, last-minute gifts, healthy gifts, American-made gifts
- Cold weather products – this includes beauty products, cold weather gear and fashion, outdoor products to keep you warm…
- Winter getaways and travel – includes clothing, gear, accessories, luggage, outdoor products
In July, REGIONAL/LOCAL magazines are working on their SEPTEMBER issue. Here are the types of products they typically cover in September:
- Back to school – includes clothing, school supplies, beauty products, products for teachers, lunch/meal planning, food, back to school essentials, shoes, products for morning routines
- Denim guide – big focus on clothing made from denim
- Fall fashion – clothing and accessories for the cooler weather, clothing that transitions from summer to fall, new products for fall
- Fall accessories – scarves, cold weather accessories, jewelry
Your pitch plan for July might look something like this:
- Week 1 – pitch national magazines for December
- Week 2 – pitch regional/local magazines for September
- Week 3 – follow up with national magazines
- Week 4 – follow up with regional/local magazines
If you are not yet a member of Media Leads, make sure to sign up so you can see all of these opportunities directly. With Media Leads, you’ll know exactly who to pitch, what to pitch and when to pitch it for maximum results!
And if you haven’t yet attended my free training, “Five steps to rapidly increase your eCommerce sales with publicity,” you can reserve your spot here.