November might seem like an unlikely time to think about Earth Day and getting your products in magazines, but did you know that magazine editors start looking for products for their April issues in November?
By now, you probably have heard me say that your success with publicity depends on this ONE thing: SENDING THE RIGHT PITCH TO THE RIGHT PERSON AT THE RIGHT TIME!
Sounds easy enough, doesn’t it?
I know this can seem daunting, so I decided to launch a new blog series called “What magazine editors are looking for this month.”
At the beginning of each month, I’ll post a guide to what types of products magazine editors are looking for that month.
My goal is to make getting your products featured in magazines as easy for you as possible! As you know, magazines start looking for products 3 – 6 months in advance, so you have to plan accordingly.
What types of products are magazine editors looking for in November?
There are two types of magazines that you may want to consider pitching your products to: NATIONAL magazines and REGIONAL/LOCAL magazines.
In November 2019, NATIONAL magazines are working on their April 2020 issue. Here are the types of products they typically cover during this month:
- Green and eco-friendly products – includes clothing and apparel, beauty products, lifestyle products, tech, food, outdoors – ANYTHING that is eco-friendly!
- “Clean” your life – lifestyle, cleaning, organization, home decor, outdoors
- Spring products – products that help in the rain (rain boots, umbrellas, gardening, outdoors, clothing, raincoats, etc.)
In November 2019, REGIONAL/LOCAL magazines are working on their January 2020 issue. Here are the types of products they typically cover this month:
- New Year – includes going to parties in style, entertaining, outfits, activities
- New You – focus on everything you need for a fresh start, including beauty, clothing, journals, calendars, organization
- New Year’s Resolutions/Fitness – fitness clothing, food, apps, workout gear, health products, vegan products
Your pitch plan for November 2019 might look something like this:
- Week 1 – pitch national magazines for April
- Week 2 – pitch regional/local magazines for January
- Week 3 – follow up with national magazines
- Week 4 – follow up with regional/local magazines
If you are not yet a member of Media Leads, make sure to sign up so you can see all of these opportunities directly. With Media Leads, you’ll know exactly who to pitch, what to pitch and when to pitch it for maximum results! And if you haven’t yet attended my free training, “Five steps to rapidly increase your eCommerce sales with publicity,” you can reserve your spot here.