October might seem like an unlikely time to think about Spring, but did you know that magazine editors start looking for products for their March issues in October?
By now, you probably have heard me say that your success with publicity depends on this ONE thing: SENDING THE RIGHT PITCH TO THE RIGHT PERSON AT THE RIGHT TIME!
Sounds easy enough, doesn’t it?
I know this can seem daunting, so I decided to launch a new blog series called “What magazine editors are looking for this month.”
At the beginning of each month, I’ll post a guide to what types of products magazine editors are looking for that month.
My goal is to make getting your products featured in magazines as easy for you as possible! As you know, magazines start looking for products 3 – 6 months in advance, so you have to plan accordingly.
What types of products are magazine editors looking for in October?
There are two types of magazines that you may want to consider pitching your products to: NATIONAL magazines and REGIONAL/LOCAL magazines.
In October, NATIONAL magazines are working on their March issue. Here are the types of products they typically cover in March:
- Spring fashion – includes any new Spring collection launches, as well as new products for spring
- Spring break – includes products that can be used during Spring break (beauty, accessories, fashion), as well as travel ideas
- Spring shopping guides – includes clothing and apparel, beauty products, home and home decor, lifestyle products
In October, REGIONAL/LOCAL magazines are working on their December issue. Here are the types of products they typically cover in December:
- Holiday entertaining – anything that is related to home decor, gifts, food, party outfits and what to wear during the holidays…
- Holiday gifts – almost every magazine has a theme for their holiday gift guides. Some themes include Gifts Under $20, Gifts Under $50, Eco-friendly gifts, Luxury Gifts, Gifts for Mom/Dad/Baby/Teacher/The person who has everything, Gifts for the Hostess, Gifts that Give Back, stocking stuffers, last-minute gifts, healthy gifts, American-made gifts
- Cold weather products – this includes beauty products, cold weather gear, and fashion, outdoor products to keep you warm…
- Winter getaways and travel – includes clothing, gear, accessories, luggage, outdoor products
Your pitch plan for October might look something like this:
- Week 1 – pitch national magazines for March
- Week 2 – pitch regional/local magazines for December
- Week 3 – follow up with national magazines
- Week 4 – follow up with regional/local magazines
If you are not yet a member of Media Leads, make sure to sign up so you can see all of these opportunities directly. With Media Leads, you’ll know exactly who to pitch, what to pitch and when to pitch it for maximum results! And if you haven’t yet attended my free training, “Five steps to rapidly increase your eCommerce sales with publicity,” you can reserve your spot here.