September might seem like an unlikely time to think about Valentine’s Day, but did you know that magazine editors start looking for products for their February issues in September?
By now, you probably have heard me say that your success with publicity depends on this ONE thing: SENDING THE RIGHT PITCH TO THE RIGHT PERSON AT THE RIGHT TIME!
Sounds easy enough, doesn’t it?
I know this can seem daunting, so I decided to launch a new blog series called “What magazine editors are looking for this month.”
At the beginning of each month, I’ll post a guide to what types of products magazine editors are looking for that month.
My goal is to make getting your products featured in magazines as easy for you as possible! As you know, magazines start looking for products 3 – 6 months in advance, so you have to plan accordingly.
What types of products are magazine editors looking for in September?
There are two types of magazines that you may want to consider pitching your products to: NATIONAL magazines and REGIONAL/LOCAL magazines.
In September, NATIONAL magazines are working on their February issue. Here are the types of products they typically cover in February:
- Valentine’s Day– includes gifts for your significant other (in both men’s and women’s publications, as well as lifestyle magazines)
- Chocolate and sweets – includes new chocolate product launches, organic and natural chocolate, vegan and gluten-free, etc.
- “Red” and products related to love – includes clothing and apparel, beauty products and lifestyle products
In September, REGIONAL/LOCAL magazines are working on their November issue. Here are the types of products they typically cover in November:
- Thanksgiving – anything that is related to home decor, gifts, food…
- Holiday entertaining – since the holidays are right around the corner, any products that are related to December holidays are also covered in their November issue
- Holiday gifts – some magazines will have a November gift guide (in addition to their December one), so any products that make a great gift for the holidays are a good fit for this issue
- Cold weather products – this includes beauty products, cold weather gear and fashion, outdoor products to keep you warm…
Your pitch plan for September might look something like this:
- Week 1 – pitch national magazines for February
- Week 2 – pitch regional/local magazines for November
- Week 3 – follow up with national magazines
- Week 4 – follow up with regional/local magazines
If you are not yet a member of Media Leads, make sure to sign up so you can see all of these opportunities directly. With Media Leads, you’ll know exactly who to pitch, what to pitch and when to pitch it for maximum results! And if you haven’t yet attended my free training, “Five steps to rapidly increase your eCommerce sales with publicity,” you can reserve your spot here.