April might seem like an unlikely time to think about back to school and the Fall, but did you know that magazine editors start looking for products for their September issues in April? It's a good idea to start thinking now about what products to pitch in April.
By now, you probably have heard me say that your success with publicity depends on this ONE thing: SENDING THE RIGHT PITCH TO THE RIGHT PERSON AT THE RIGHT TIME!
Sounds easy enough, doesn't it?
I know this can seem daunting, so I decided to launch a new blog series called “What magazine editors are looking for this month.”
At the beginning of each month, I'll post a guide to what types of products magazine editors are looking for that month.
My goal is to make getting your products featured in magazines as easy for you as possible! As you know, magazines start looking for products 3 – 6 months in advance, so you have to plan accordingly.
What products should you pitch in April?
There are two types of magazines that you may want to consider pitching – NATIONAL magazines and REGIONAL/LOCAL magazines.
In April, NATIONAL magazines are working on their September issue. Here are the types of products they typically cover during this month:
- Back to school – includes clothing, school supplies, beauty products, products for teachers, lunch/meal planning, food, back to school essentials, shoes, products for morning routines
- Denim guide – big focus on clothing made from denim
- Fall fashion – clothing and accessories for the cooler weather, clothing that transitions from summer to fall, new products for fall
- Fall accessories – scarves, cold weather accessories, jewelry
In April, REGIONAL/LOCAL magazines are working on their June issue. Here are the types of products they typically cover this month:
- Father's Day gifts – products that make a great gift for Father's Day, including fashion, lifestyle, accessories, fitness, tech, gadgets, gear, etc.
- Summer beauty – beauty products that protect hair & skin from the sun, waterproof makeup, products with SPF, etc.
- Summer accessories – products that can accessorize your summer wardrobe, hats & clothing that protect you from the sun and cool swimwear
Your pitch plan for April might look something like this:
- Week 1 – pitch national magazines for September
- Week 2 – pitch regional/local magazines for June
- Week 3 – follow up with national magazines
- Week 4 – follow up with regional/local magazines
If you are not yet a member of Media Leads, make sure to sign up so you can see all of these opportunities directly. With Media Leads, you'll know exactly who to pitch, what to pitch and when to pitch it for maximum results! And if you haven't yet attended my free training, “Five steps to rapidly increase your eCommerce sales with publicity,” you can reserve your spot here.