December might seem like an unlikely time to think about Mother’s Day, but did you know that magazine editors start looking for products for their May issues in December? It’s a good idea to start thinking now about what products to pitch in December.
By now, you probably have heard me say that your success with publicity depends on this ONE thing: SENDING THE RIGHT PITCH TO THE RIGHT PERSON AT THE RIGHT TIME!
Sounds easy enough, doesn’t it?
I know this can seem daunting, so I decided to launch a new blog series called “What magazine editors are looking for this month.”
At the beginning of each month, I’ll post a guide to what types of products magazine editors are looking for that month.
My goal is to make getting your products featured in magazines as easy for you as possible! As you know, magazines start looking for products 3 – 6 months in advance, so you have to plan accordingly.
What products should you pitch in December?
There are two types of magazines that you may want to consider pitching your products to: NATIONAL magazines and REGIONAL/LOCAL magazines.
In December 2019, NATIONAL magazines are working on their May 2020 issue. Here are the types of products they typically cover during this month:
- Mother’s Day gifts – products that make a great gift for Mother’s Day, including fashion, lifestyle, accessories, home, fitness, tech, beauty, etc.
- Graduation gifts – products that make a great graduation gift, including tech, accessories, watches, home products, business-related, etc.
- Gardening products – includes gardening tools, gadgets, apparel, plants, birdhouses, seeds, etc.
In December 2019, REGIONAL/LOCAL magazines are working on their February 2020 issue. Here are the types of products they typically cover this month:
- Valentine’s Day– includes gifts for your significant other (in both men’s and women’s publications, as well as lifestyle magazines)
- Chocolate and sweets – includes new chocolate product launches, organic and natural chocolate, vegan and gluten-free, etc.
- “Red” and products related to love – includes clothing and apparel, beauty products and lifestyle products
Your pitch plan for December 2019 might look something like this:
- Week 1 – pitch national magazines for May
- Week 2 – pitch regional/local magazines for February
- Week 3 – follow up with national magazines
- Week 4 – follow up with regional/local magazines
If you are not yet a member of Media Leads, make sure to sign up so you can see all of these opportunities directly. With Media Leads, you’ll know exactly who to pitch, what to pitch and when to pitch it for maximum results! And if you haven’t yet attended my free training, “Five steps to rapidly increase your eCommerce sales with publicity,” you can reserve your spot here.