January might seem like an unlikely time to think about summer and Father’s Day, but did you know that magazine editors start looking for products for their June issues in January? It’s a good idea to start thinking now about what products to pitch in January.
By now, you probably have heard me say that your success with publicity depends on this ONE thing: SENDING THE RIGHT PITCH TO THE RIGHT PERSON AT THE RIGHT TIME!
Sounds easy enough, doesn’t it?
I know this can seem daunting, so I decided to launch a new blog series called “What magazine editors are looking for this month.”
At the beginning of each month, I’ll post a guide to what types of products magazine editors are looking for that month.
My goal is to make getting your products featured in magazines as easy for you as possible! As you know, magazines start looking for products 3 – 6 months in advance, so you have to plan accordingly.
What products should you pitch in January?
There are two types of magazines that you may want to consider pitching your products to: NATIONAL magazines and REGIONAL/LOCAL magazines.
In January, NATIONAL magazines are working on their June issue. Here are the types of products they typically cover during this month:
- Father’s Day gifts – products that make a great gift for Father’s Day, including fashion, lifestyle, accessories, fitness, tech, gadgets, gear, etc.
- Summer beauty – beauty products that protect hair & skin from the sun, waterproof makeup, products with SPF, etc.
- Summer accessories – products that can accessorize your summer wardrobe, hats & clothing that protect you from the sun and cool swimwear
In January, REGIONAL/LOCAL magazines are working on their March issue. Here are the types of products they typically cover this month:
- Spring fashion – includes any new Spring collection launches, as well as new products for spring
- Spring break – includes products that can be used during Spring break (beauty, accessories, fashion), as well as travel ideas
- Spring shopping guides – includes clothing and apparel, beauty products, home and home decor, lifestyle products
Your pitch plan for January might look something like this:
- Week 1 – pitch national magazines for June
- Week 2 – pitch regional/local magazines for March
- Week 3 – follow up with national magazines
- Week 4 – follow up with regional/local magazines
If you are not yet a member of Media Leads, make sure to sign up so you can see all of these opportunities directly. With Media Leads, you’ll know exactly who to pitch, what to pitch and when to pitch it for maximum results! And if you haven’t yet attended my free training, “Five steps to rapidly increase your eCommerce sales with publicity,” you can reserve your spot here.